Monday, August 06, 2012

Celebrating My Two Year Anniversary of Indie Publishing: A Retrospective/Looking Back



Today marks my second anniversary as an Indie Author. It's been a wild tempestuous twelve months. The first year I worked on getting my back list published; this year, I'm having to write new stories.

Having to write . . . like that's bad or something. Hah!  I'm finally living my dream; I'm writing stories and sharing them with readers. And making a little dab of money.

Writing/publishing . . . writing/publishing . . . How awesome is that?!?

Publishing directly to readers not only gives me total control of every aspect of the writing/publishing operation, it also allows me to experiment and try new things. For example, I tried my hand at writing short stories and had a lot of fun with them.

So far during this second year (beginning last August), I've published seven stories for a total of seventeen products available to readers across many channels. I've added three short stories, sold individually and in a bundle, two Regency novellas, and the fourth novel in my Diamondback Ranch Series.

And talking about trying new things: I have audio versions in the works, as well as print. I'm very curious about how the audio books will sell. It should be interesting. It certainly has been an interesting experience choosing narrators for the different books and series.

I'm a firm believer in making my books available across as many channels and in as many different formats as possible to the reading and listening public. The more, the better.

It's been a busy year. Publishing directly is a lot of hard work. And like I've said before: It's not for the faint of heart. It's still a roller-coaster ride in regards to sales and emotions.

Last November and December, sales were bleak for me. During this time, I took a look at my covers and decided on revamping them and creating an Anne Marie Novark brand. It seemed to work. With the sexier covers, sales started picking up.

April was a spectacular month. The kind of month authors only dream about. I hit the best seller lists at Amazon, B&N and Apple. I received many fan emails, mostly asking when the next book in the Diamondback Ranch Series would be available. And naturally, I was hard at work on it.

Last week, I released Lone Star Heartbreaker, and it has given my sales a much needed boost. It has certainly reinforced the maxim that the next book is the best promotion. And of course, I was holding my breath wondering if the book would live up to my readers' expectations. From the amount of emails I've received, it has. Thank goodness!

I'm so glad I took the Indie plunge. I've found the joy in writing again, and sharing my stories with readers is my dream come true.

Every sale is golden; every enthusiastic email priceless.

Happy Writing and Reading and Publishing!!!

Anne Marie   :)

12 comments:

JOAN REEVES aka SlingWords said...

AnneMarie, happy anniversary! Best wishes for even greater success!

Joan

Lynda Chance said...

Anne Marie,
Happy anniversary and Happy Anniversary!!! Two years publishing and how many years married??? Congratulations and here's to many, many more years to come!
Love you!

Andrew Ashling said...

Happy Anniversary, Anne Marie, and congratulations.

I'm at 18 months myself, and I couldn't agree more: Every sale is golden; every enthusiastic email priceless.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks, Joan!!!

We just keep hoping, don't we?

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thirty-five years!!!

OMG!!! Where have they all gone?

Thanks, Seester!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks, Andrew.

Good luck with your Indie Adventure!!!

J.D. Faver said...

Hi AnneMarie! I'm so proud of your every success. May 1 was my one year anniversary of trying to follow along in the trail you blazed. You're right. The best thing is that it's just you and the reader without a lot of filters in between. I see that you own Amazon's Top 100 Best Sellers in Western Romance. Congratulations on all your anniversaries and successes. Your generosity of spirit is inspiring in itself. Wishing you many more years of awesome sales.
*hugs*
~JD

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks, JD!!!

I follow and celebrate your successes, even if I don't always tell you "in person".

Happy Writing and Publishing!!!

Cheryl Bolen said...

Congratulations and profound thanks for your encouragement to go indie. You're what RWA is all about: sharing.

Skhye Moncrief said...

Congrats, AM!!! You deserve all the fun and kudos for your bravery and writing. And you know we all hope our path down that one of self-publishing mirrors yours. ;P Love those sexed-up covers too!

AnneMarie Novark said...

You're very welcome, Cheryl. I'm glad you're finding so much success!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Hey Skhye!!! You're certainly positioning yourself for success!!!

Happy Sales!!!