Sunday, May 20, 2012

Movies: Oldies but Goodies


I'm an old movie buff. I love watching the old-fashioned romances of the fifties and sixties. Ahhh, the good old days. When time moved at a slower pace and life was simpler. Or so it seemed.

The human condition stays pretty constant. From the beginning of time, most human beings have searched for partners with whom to share life and love and day-to-day living. A special someone makes life more interesting and gives it more meaning. At least, in my opinion.

Recently, I've been watching movies that I remember from childhood. Not having subscribed to cable for the past thirty years, I haven't had easy access to old movies. I'll think of a movie that stands out in my mind, then search Amazon for the title. Sometimes, I don't know the title, just one of the actors or actresses.

Sometimes, only one scene will stick in my mind, and it makes me want to watch the movie as an adult. One such movie is Come September. All I remembered about this movie was that it starred Rock Hudson and Gina Lollobrigida. Sandra Dee and Bobby Darin were also in the film.

I knew it was set somewhere in Europe and there was some sort of mix-up with a villa and tourists. But what really stuck out in my mind was a scene where Gina Lollobrigida winked one eye without squinting. I must have been ten or eleven when I saw this movie for the first time, and I remember practicing and practicing until I could wink like Gina.

Watching the movie again was fun. It's one of those classic romantic comedies of the day. Viewing it as an older adult gave me an entirely different perspective on the film. I'm now older than the lead characters in the movie, but Rock Hudson was as handsome as ever and Gina Lollobrigida was truly gorgeous.


AM   :)



1 comment:

Lynda Chance said...

I love old movies, too. And the cover on that movie looks a lot like the old Harlequin books. Mmmm... love both!!