Thursday, October 20, 2011

The eBook Revolution: Signs of the Changing Times


Anyone notice something different in the RWR (Romance Writers Report) this month? How about that full-page ad on the coveted inside cover spot? Maybe I've missed it previously, but this is the first full-page color ad I've seen for an Indie eBook in that magazine. I'm pretty sure it's Indie/Self-Published. And can I just say: WooHoo!!!

Yes, I know the author is traditionally published, but still. It's an advertisement for a .99 eBook. And it's not just the cover of the book in the ad, the picture is of the book cover on a digital device, probably a tablet. Can I say: Wow!!! And also note, the author uses one of those cool QR codes, too. Snap that little code with your smart phone and you go instantly to her website. Is that awesome or what?

Oh yeah. The times they are a changing.

The RWR ad is the latest example of signs of the changing times. Back in May for Mother's Day, almost every Sunday ad in the newspaper featured an eReader on the front page. I'm talking about Target, Walmart, Office Depot and Best Buy, to name just a few.

 


And here's a promotional feature in last summer's Parade Magazine for Summer Reading. Notice that it's not a child sitting under a tree reading a book. Oh no. This little boy is sitting under a tree reading a book on an eReader.

Love it, love it, love it!!!






Recently in the comics section of the local newspaper, (yes, I still subscribe, but not for long), Funky Winkerbean featured a series of strips lamenting the closing of a bookstore. That in itself is sad, but it's just another example of the changing times and the eBook Revolution.

Of course, there have been numerous articles and blog-posts about eBooks and publishing all over the web in writers' circles, but the examples above are reflective of the changes in the "real" world. It's very telling, don't you think?

Yes, it's exciting times we're living in.
 
Vive la Revolution!!!


Anne Marie   :)





5 comments:

Lynda Chance said...

And that's a good thing!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

LOL, Lynda!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Cheryl Bolen said...

Boy, are you right, Anne Marie. And I owe you, big time. You told me I was sitting on a goldmine with my backlist, and man were you right! I'm earning more than I made off these books when they were print published. And I'm just hoping the everyone who doesn't have one gets Kindles for Christmas!

AnneMarie Novark said...

WooHoo!!! Cheryl!!!

I've been watching your meteoric rise up the Regency/Historical Bestseller Lists!!!

Looks like you've hit the Motherlode!!!

Big Congrats!!!

Skhye said...

AMEN! Or how so they say that in Espanol? I like your revolution theme! LOL

***Sorry, just got caught up on my backed up work after vacation. But I made here. Better late than never. Especially, if bullets are flying!