Saturday, October 23, 2010

How to Tag A Book on Amazon



Book rankings are vitally important on Amazon. The higher your ranking, the more often people will see it listed in different searches. Of course, buying books is the best way to boost rankings, but there is another way to help boost your favorite authors' rankings. It's called "tagging" books, and it only takes a few seconds of your time.

Tags are descriptive words or phrases that describe the book. They are keywords that people type into search engines to find what they are looking for.

The more people adding tags to a book, the more often that book will appear close to the top of a keyword search. It's search engine optimization at its best. And Amazon utilizes this system to the advantage of authors and their books, making them more visible to potential readers. When increasing numbers of people hit a book with a particular tag, that book's visibility increases exponentially.  Repeating tags raises the book's chances of showing high in those searches for those particular keywords. More is very much better in this case.

It is important to note that "Agree with these Tags?" does NOT tag a book. Each tag must be individually selected as outlined below.

Here's how to tag a book on Amazon:

1.   Log in to your Amazon account.
2.   Go to each book's Amazon page.
3.   Scroll down to the orange title:
TAGS CUSTOMERS ASSOCIATE WITH THIS PRODUCT
4.   Left click on the boxes next to each tag or the tags you prefer and an orange check mark will appear showing them to be tagged.
5.  If you want to add different/additional tags, type them in the box under "Your Tags," separate each tag by a comma, then click "Add".
6.  Ten tags are visible for each book. Click on "See all tags" and select and click on more for a total of 15 tags.
7.  The orange check marks show that each keyword/tag is registered.

Another way to tag books on Amazon:

1.  On the Amazon book page, double click the letter "t" on your keyboard.
2.  A quick-tag box will pop up called "Tag This Product."
3.  Click on the tags below the large box to highlight.
4.  You can also click on the large box and add your own tags, separated by commas, for a total of 15 tags.
5.  Be sure to click "Save Tags" to register your tags.

So, there you have it. Help support your favorite authors by tagging their books on Amazon. It helps to tag both the Kindle version and the Print version of each book. It only takes a few seconds, but the results can be tremendous!!!

Happy Reading!!!

Anne Marie   :)

17 comments:

Beth Caudill said...

I try to tag as often as possible. I don't do it all the time but I do try to help other authors by clicking on their tags.

Nice post.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks, Beth. I'm on a new mission to tag fellow authors' books.

Lynne Roberts said...

Thank you so much! *blush* I thought agreeing with the tags did tag them, which means I've only been partially tagging my fellow authors.

Off to Amazon!

Thanks again.

Beth Caudill said...

Anne Marie

One other thing while I was visiting Amazon, I'd suggest every author tag with their name and publisher. And if it's a kindle version add kindle to the tags.

Helps with Searches.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Lynne,

Glad I could help. I didn't know agreeing to the tags didn't work either.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Beth,

Thanks for that information. I need to add those tags to my books, too.

Loretta C. Rogers said...

I'm one of those who was afraid to ask. Didn't want anyone to know how un-technie I am. Thanks for the detailed steps. I can't wait to try out my newly found knowledge.

www.lorettacrogersbooks.com

Caroline Clemmons said...

I didn't realize tagging was so important. Thanks for sharing.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Loretta,

I'm so techno-challenged it hurts! I really like it when I can google something and up pops detailed instructions on how do what I'm searching for. Even better is when there's a tutorial on You Tube!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Caroline,

I didn't realize how important tagging was either, until several weeks ago. Like I said, I'm on a mission to tag fellow authors' books.

Thanks for stopping by.

Debra St. John said...

Thanks for posting this. The whole tagging thing has kind of been a mystery to me...now I can try to make it work!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Debra,

Hopefully, I demystified tagging a little bit for you. Glad to help.

Nancy J. Cohen said...

Very clear instructions, thanks. Don't forget to tag each separate edition for your titles, too. I've been tagging and I learned a few new tips here too.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Nancy,

You're right. You have to go in a tag each edition, print and ebook, separately.

Thanks for stopping by.

sue fineman said...

Excellent post, Anne Marie. Thanks for the clarification.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Sue,

Glad I could clarify things for you.

Thanks for stopping by.

Teri Thackston said...

Anne Marie,
Thanks so much for this information. I didn't know about tagging until recently and this is great info on how to do it right!
Teri