Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Spotlight: Debra St. John

.

Today, we have Romance Author Debra St. John visiting us at Just Write!  Let's ask Debra a few questions . . .


~  What kind of stories/books do you write?

    I write contemporary romance for The Wild Rose Press.

~  How long have you been writing?

    I’ve been writing since high school, but I’ve only been writing having some semblance of knowing what I’m doing for the past fifteen years or so. (LOL)

~   How long have you been writing and seriously pursuing publication?

    I’d have to say I’ve been seriously pursuing publication for about six years.

~  How many manuscripts did you complete before you sold?

    I had completed two manuscripts and was working on a third before I sold. (Of course those manuscripts had gone through so many rewrites and revisions, they might each count as more than one!)


~  Please tell us about receiving “The Call.”

    “The Call” was really an e-mail from my editor. She was checking back in to follow up on another e-mail she’d sent, asking if I’d received the one offering me a contract for “This Time for Always”. (I hadn’t received the first one, so this second e-mail took my breath away.)

~  To expand on your "Call Story"— What did you do when you got the call or read the email?  Scream?  Faint?
  
    I gasped, half rose out of my chair, reread the e-mail to make sure I wasn’t hallucinating, sat back down again, and finally ran into the kitchen to find my hubby.
    “I think I just sold a book,” I exclaimed.
    “You think? Well, did you or didn’t you?”
    We headed back into the den and reread the e-mail together. After that we danced around for a while!


~  How did you feel when you found out you sold?

    Excited. Thrilled. Breathless. Overwhelmed.

~  Who was the first person you told?

    My wonderful hubby.

~   How did you celebrate?

    We were just about to sit down to dinner, so we ate! When we finished I called my mom and my mother-in-law. About a week later I got to celebrate with my local RWA chapter. We have this fabulous tradition of bringing chocolate to a meeting when we sell a book. We don’t say, “I sold a book.” Instead we reveal the box of candy with a flourish and announce, “I brought chocolate!” My first chocolate moment was everything I dreamed it would be.
###

WILD WEDDING WEEKEND, my second release from TWRP, came out last month. Here’s a little sneak peek!

Wild Wedding Weekend
Debra St. John
The Wild Rose Press

Blurb:
All Abby Walker ever wanted was to live a normal life in her small suburban-Chicago house.
After traveling around the world in her youth, staying put in one spot is a dream come true.  But when she winds up on a game show as a favor to a friend, her life takes an adventurous turn she isn’t at all prepared for.

Noah Grant has put his small-town Indiana roots behind him.  He travels all over the world, enjoying the freedom and adventure.  He has no intention of settling down anytime soon, if ever.  But then he finds himself married to Abby in a bizarre quirk of fate, and he realizes his life will never be the same.
Their passion flares as hot as the sultry Caribbean air. But is passion enough to turn their Wild Wedding Weekend into a lifetime of love?

Excerpt:

“Have you talked to Claire?”

Noah shook his head.


“Has she called you?”

“No. Why did you think she would?”

“I figured you and Claire would pick up where you left off. Before we...well, before all of this happened. I know that’s what Claire would want.”

“I can’t see that happening. You really think that’s what she wants?”

Abby set the fragile glass down with a sharp thud on the table. “No, I don’t. I used to know her. But I don’t anymore. We don’t talk.”

“Whoa, easy, Abby, sweetheart.”

The false endearment grated on her nerves.

She took a deep breath, then expelled it. “Sorry. I just thought we were done with all of this pretending, and now we had to do this tonight, and I just can’t deal with-”

Noah cut her off. “Shhhhh.” He twined his fingers with hers. “I’m sorry. I know all of this has been really hard on you. I didn’t mean to sound like a jerk. But I want you to know,” he paused, then continued when she lifted her eyes to his. “I’m not going to date Claire again. And I really am sorry that things got so messed up with the two of you.”

“I know, I just wish…” She wanted to say she wished none of this had happened. But it would be a lie. For all the pain that was sure to come, she couldn’t wish her time as Noah’s wife away. The memories were already too precious.

She glanced at the matching wedding bands on their fingers. She hadn’t taken hers off. Noah had probably put his back on for the night.

It had been far too easy tonight to slip back into their married routine. Far too easy to forget it was only part of the game.

###

Readers are invited to visit me at www.debrastjohnromance.com or at the Acme Authors Link on Sundays, or Heroines with Hearts on Thursdays.

###

Great interview, Debra!!!


AM   :)

20 comments:

Debra St. John said...

Hi Anne Marie...

Thanks for having me today!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks for being here, Debra!!! I love the title and the cover and the excerpt!!! Can't wait to read the book!!!

Pamala Knight said...

Thanks for the great interview with Deb, Anne Marie. What an exciting story of her first sale!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Pamala,

You are always so sweet to visit!

Dorothy said...

Hi Debra, I agree with Pamela the title is great and I enjoyed the excerpt. How could you eat after getting the call?

Debra St. John said...

Hi Dorothy,

I do remember bouncing in my chair a bit and having a hard time getting the food past the excitement buzzing through me!

Marilyn Brant said...

Lovely interview, Debra and Anne Marie ;). And I remember that night when you brought chocolate! Those celebrations are always the best!!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Marilyn, I do love our chocolate moments! (Mine and others, too!)

Joelle Charbonneau said...

Hi Debra! I love your first *call* story. I hadn't heard the details before. What fun! I can't wait for the next chocolate celebration for you....after, of course, we are done eating lots of chocolate in honor of this release!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Joelle,

I can't wait to eat chocolate to celebrate YOUR release this fall!

Mary Ricksen said...

I can't wait to read Wild Wedding Weekend. The book jacket is perfect!
Loved the excerpt too!

Let them eat chocolate!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Mary,

Wild Rose did a fabulous job with the cover. It's exactly right for the story, and Abby and Noah look just like I pictured them!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Debra,
Nice call story. Loved the excerpt too.
Cheers
Margaret

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Great excerpt, sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for sharing your road to publication...it's always fun to see how other authors did it.

Happy sales!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Margaret and Anna Kathryn,

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

Autumn Jordon said...

Great interview. I love your covers and you blurb is great! Congrats on the new release.

Stacey Joy Netzel said...

That's a great story about your first sale--and I LOVE the way you announce it to your chapter. Perfect! :)

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to visit Debra!!!

I also love the idea of the chocolate celebrations!!! How appropriate and yummy!!!

Thanks for a great interview, Debra!!!

Good luck with WILD WEDDING WEEKEND!!!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Autumn,

Wild Rose has been fabulous with giving me great covers!

Hi Stacey,

Our chapter chocolate celebrations are the best!

Kathy Otten said...

Hi Debra,

Your book has a beautiful cover. Love the chocolate tradition. Good luck!