Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Spotlight: Tory Richards

.


Today, we have Romance Author Tory Richards visiting us at Just Write!

 Let's ask Tory a few questions . . .

~  What kind of stories/books do you write?

I write contemporary suspense and erotic romance.

~ How long have you been writing?

I’ve been a writer most of my life, since my early teens. For years it was therapy for me. Something I didn’t share with anyone else. I was basically a closet writer.

~   How long have you been writing and seriously pursuing publication?

A few years ago I shared my dreams with my daughter and niece, and let them read one of my stories. Of course they both loved the story and encouraged me to submit it to a publisher. Two months later I received a contract for “Cupid’s Arrow”, which was on the publisher’s best sellers list for two consecutive months.

~  How many manuscripts did you complete before you sold?

A few, most of them needed major updating, though.

~  Please tell us about receiving “The Call.”

LOL…the call came in the way of an email. I’d just returned from a two-week cruise to Alaska and it was waiting for me in my inbox.

~  To expand on your "Call Story"— What did you do when you got the call or read the email?  Scream?  Faint?

I wasn’t sure how to react. Of course I was thrilled. But I had no idea what epublishing was or what to expect so I was cautious. I think I was kind of numb, too. I wasn’t expecting a contract offer so soon after submitting. Once it sank in and I learned more of what was to come I shouted it to the world. Well, to anyone who would listen☺

~  How did you feel when you found out you sold?

Accomplished.

~ Who was the first person you told?

My daughter and niece because they were the one’s who hounded, pushed and encouraged me.

~   How did you celebrate?

I can’t tell you but I will say that I went to bed with a smile on my face that night. Woke up with the same smile☺


The Cowboy Way is my latest release but right now I’d like to talk about my up-coming release with The Wild Rose Press,  All the Right Moves. It will be re-released soon, and this time the sexy romance will be offered in print! I’m very excited about that. Sizzling new scenes have been added, including a new last chapter. Here’s a blurb and brief excerpt.

Blurb 
Annie McCall finds a patient dead in her office, and now she's on the run for her life. Detective Marshall Thomas is willing to break the rules to protect the beautiful doctor, but who will protect her from him? It isn't long before the only danger Annie's facing is the sizzling heat between the sheets.

Excerpt 
"That was good, Detective." Annie's compliment broke the silence. She pushed her empty plate aside and dropped her napkin over it before reaching for her glass of wine. "Either you've never been married, or you've been divorced a long time."
She narrowed her eyes at him over her glass.

"Fishing, Doc?" Marshall grinned, pouring more wine into his glass. A tiny smile played upon her lips, making him wonder what she was thinking.

"What now, Detective?" She ran her pinky along the edge of her glass, dipping it slightly into the liquid before bringing it to her mouth.

In spite of the sophistication that cloaked Annie, she looked extremely vulnerable at that moment. Her action under normal circumstances would have been a natural prelude to an intimate moment between them-like a kiss. But he knew she wasn't aware of the alluring quality of her movements. She didn't seem the type to purposely tease a man using seductive coyness. In fact, she seemed a thousand miles away.


For more information about my books please visit my website at: www.toryrichards.com

Thanks for a great interview, Tory!!!


AM   :)

5 comments:

Marie Tuhart said...

Very nice interview, Tory. The Cowboy Way sounds like a really fun book to read.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Great interview. I love hearing how writers got their start. Oddly, they seem to be close to each other....writing as children or teens. I'd say it's in our blood...or at least genes.

Great excerpt. Happy sales!

Tiffany Green said...

Love the interview, Tory! So glad your daughter and niece talked you into submitting your book. Love the cover, too.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks for stopping by, Marie and Anna and Tiffany!!!

Debra St. John said...

Oooh, nice excerpt.

It's so fun to hold an actual print book in your hands. Congrats!