Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Spotlight: Barbara Edwards


.


Today, we have Romance Author Barbara Edwards visiting us at Just Write!  Let's ask Barbara a few questions . . .


What kind of stories/books do you write?
I’ve been exploring what I enjoy the most. I have two Historical Romances: Another Love and Annie’s Heart; a romantic suspense: Rachel’s Rescue; and my newest is a paranormal romance: Ancient Awakening. I think I’ve found my niche since I truly enjoy writing the dark side and creating characters who confront evil and win.


How long have you been writing?
As long as I can remember. My father always wanted to be a published writer, a large dream for a person who didn’t finish high school because of the Depression. He didn’t succeed, but he instilled in me a love of the written word. I like to think he’d be proud.


How long have you been seriously pursuing publication?
Since two years before I was published. Before that writing was a pleasure, a hobby and I had to actively decide I wanted to be published. It was a career that took time and dedication. I had to give up other things to concentrate on finishing my books and at times it hurt.

How many manuscripts did you complete before you sold?
I finished four that are still hidden under my bed. I take them out every once in awhile, but they never get better. I don’t have time to ‘fix’ them since I have other commitments.


Please tell us about receiving “The Call.”
My book was being looked at by an editor at a NY publisher for several months. She finally called me and said it had been rejected by the final committee since they didn’t like the villain being a mother. If I could change it, well maybe. Only I knew it wouldn’t work. The entire plot revolved around this dark secret.
I mentioned the rejection on a writing loop and an editor asked for me to send it to her. I thank Lorraine from WingsEpress for her encouragement. A week later I got the contract.


To expand on your "Call Story"— What did you do when you got the call or read the email?  Scream?  Faint?
Neither. I was numb for the rest of the day.


How did you feel when you found out you sold?
I should be able to find the right words. The feeling is literally indescribable. Over the moon? Overjoyed? Ecstatic? I actually cried.

Who was the first person you told?
My critique partner Joyce. She had encouraged me for years and I didn’t need to think twice about letting her know.

How did you celebrate?
Maybe it sounds clichéd, but my husband and I shared a bottle of expensive champagne.


Ancient Awakening by Barbara Edwards

Paranormal, strong romantic elements, sensuous
The Wild Rose Press

 Police Officer ‘Mel’ Petersen investigates a death only she believes is murder. By disobeying direct orders from the Rhodes End Chief, she risks her career to follow clues that twist in circles to her backyard and lead the killer to her.


Her neighbor Stephen Zoriak is a prime suspect. Steve worked for a major pharmaceutical company where he discovered a weapon so dangerous he destroys the research. He is exposed to the dangerous organism. He suspects he is the killer and agrees to help her find the truth.

In the course of their investigation Mel and Steve find the real killer and a love that defies death.

Excerpt:

“Don’t touch me, Mel, not unless you’re willing to do a lot more,” he warned as her hazel eyes flared golden.

“Don’t threaten me, Steve. You’re…”

He pulled her into his arms despite the alarm bells clanging in his head.
Danger! Danger! Danger!

Her widened eyes met his. Mel’s hands were trapped against his chest, but she didn’t push him away. Instead, her fingers curled into his shirt.

Her mistake. His mistake was to crush her mouth under his.

Mel’s soft lips parted. Need exploded. The taste of black coffee didn’t hide her sweet flavor.

As her tongue tangled with his, her arms slid around his neck and her fingers burrowed through his hair.

Steve hungered to peel the starched shirt off her soft shoulders, lay her on the thick turf and ease his desire. He tasted her brows, her cheek, along her throat, seeking the source of her call. Her pulse whipped under his mouth, awakening another need.

His teeth gently closed on the vulnerable vein.

He wanted, wanted, wanted…

Cold alarm chilled his pounding blood.

Steve gasped for air. He’d forgotten his own ironclad rule. Mel’s eyelids flittered open to reveal the molten glow of desire but he forced himself free.

He had no right to touch any woman. Not until he knew he hadn’t become what he had set out to destroy.

###

You can visit Barbara at www.barbaraedwards.net
or leave a comment at her blog Barb'Ed Comments.


Thanks for the interview, Barbara!!!


AM  :)

9 comments:

Barbara Edwards said...

Thanks, Anne Marie for the wonderful interview. After a week that went from great to terrible back to great, it is one of the highs.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Barbara and Anne,

Great interview, ladies. I can't wait to read "Ancient Awakenings". It sounds like my kind of book!

Jeane Daly said...

Hi Barbara.
I enjoyed the interview and learning more about you as a writer.
It's a nice feeling when you find your NICHE - - and you certainly have.
Thanks for sharing.
Jeane Daly [ewings press]

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Debra,
nice of you to stop by. I hope you enjoy Ancient Awakening. Book 2 is just around the corner.

Barbara Edwards said...

Hi Jeane,
Thanks for leaving a comment. took me years of hunting for 'my place' and I'm glad I've found it.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Wonderful interview, Barbara.
Sarah

Lilly Gayle said...

It's funny how many stories about wannabe writers who finally got "the call" or "the email" could be me.

I was numb when I got "the email" too. It had been so long since I started writing--and I had been let down so many times by
NY Publishers and agents, who raised my hopes only to dash them.

Then, I got an email from Lil--the world's greatest editor--at The Wild Rose Press. I finally had a contract! But I was afraid to get too excited for fear of jinxing it!

Been there. Done that!

Thanks for posting this on your blog! It's nice to know I'm not the only writer who's had to wait so patiently for "The Call."

I guess it's true. Anything worth having is worth the wait! And because it took me so long, I think I appreciate it that much more!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks to everyone who stopped by to visit.

I always enjoy hearing how authors got THE CALL.

Great interview, Barbara!!!

Maggie Toussaint said...

Hi Barbara,
Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Some days that's just how it goes. I don't think I've ever told you how much I like the cover for your paranormal book. Hot excerpt too.