Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Tea Time in Texas

.

I'm a tea drinker.  Iced tea, pure and simple.  Plain old Lipton or Luzianne is my favorite.  I don't much care for flavored teas.  I don't even drink sweet tea anymore.  Strong, yes.  Very strong.  A tall glass of strong iced tea on a hot summer day is pure heaven to me.

Because of health reasons, I drink decaffeinated tea most of the time.  And decaf tea is very expensive; almost twice as much as regular tea.  Many years ago, I found a tip on how to decaf your own tea.  It's very simple.  You pour boiling water over regular teabags, then pour it off and about 95% of the caffeine is washed away. 


Here's my recipe for making a 2 1/4 quart pitcher of delicious iced tea:

3 family sized teabags
2 cups boiling water/ divided

Place the 3 teabags in a Pyrex measuring cup and pour 1 cup boiling water over them.  Let them sit for 45 seconds, then pour off water.  Add 1 cup boiling water and let the tea steep for 20 minutes or longer.

Pour tea into a 2 1/4 qt pitcher, fill measuring cup with cold water and press teabags, then pour into pitcher.  Repeat until pitcher is filled.  Refrigerate.

Enjoy!!!

AM   :)

No comments: