Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

.


Even though my family is so NOT Irish, we celebrate St. Patrick's Day each year by eating corned beef and cabbage.  We love it and it's become a family tradition.

Way back when I was a teenager, my dad decided we would eat corned beef on St. Patrick's Day.  He told my mother to cook some.  Well . . .  my mother is a pretty good cook, but she didn't really like it; she did it because she had to.  Anyway, she bought the meat and prepared it and it turned out like a small hard brick. My dad ate it anyway.

The next year, she called Mrs. Shannon (a friend from church and school) and our corned beef tradition came into being.  I've continued the tradition for the last thirty years, and my kids wouldn't know what to do if we didn't have corned beef on St. Patty's Day.

This year, I waited for the grocery store ads to advertise sale prices for corned beef.  I don't know if I missed them or what (cabbage didn't go down very much either), but yesterday I went to Kroger and OMG! they were out.  The butcher didn't even realize that Wednesday was St. Patrick's Day!!!  Luckily, there was a shipment due this morning.

I called bright and early and the butcher was unloading the truck and sure enough, the corned beef shipment had arrived.  He promised to set aside three packages for me.  When I got to Kroger, they were just putting on the labels and price tags.

My quest for corned beef was a success.  Now, all I have to do is get it on to cooking by noon, so it can simmer all afternoon.  I've invited my mother and daughter over for the feast.

Needless to say, we will be celebrating St. Patrick's Day in style and taste!!!

AM   :)

2 comments:

Skhye said...

My mouth is watering. You know, I love Reubens. I should have insisted we go to Jason's Deli yesterday. But the wee one had "a broke leg" and needed to go to the doctor. The doc told her kids usually don't self-diagnose successfully until they're 15. Well, he was right. After the half-day venture to downtown Houston, we just swung by Soup or Salad. My child ate green peas. She doesn't eat anything green. Maybe that was the luck o' the Irish for me! And of course, the not-so-broke leg. She really was limping for almost 24 hours...

Judy said...

Top o' the morning to ye, Anne Marie! Glad you got your corned beef!

Skhye's mention of Jason's Deli made MY mouth water! Gee, I've missed that place--as well as Rosa's Cafe for the best chicken fajitas and chips and queso around! Texas, I'm a-comin'!