Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Spotlight: Rebecca J. Clark


Today, we have Romance Author Rebecca J. Clark visiting us at Just Write!  She will be giving away a stiletto book thong to one lucky person who posts to this blog today.

Let's ask Rebecca some questions . . .
  
~  What kind of stories/books do you write?
Right now, I’m focusing on sexy, humorous contemporaries. But I also enjoy writing deeper, more emotional stories, too.

~  How long have you been writing?
I’ve written all my life and have wanted to be a novelist since I was about 11 years old, but it wasn’t until my first child turned a year old that I started taking my writing seriously.

~   How long did you seriously pursue publication before selling?
Well, my first novel comes out this month and my first child is 17. During those years, I raised two young children, moved several times, and had several years of writing drought where I questioned my sanity on continuing along this path to publication. So, I wasn’t writing nonstop during those years, but still. It took me a LONG time.

~  How many manuscripts did you complete before you sold?
Six, most of which will never, ever see the light of day. Thank God.

~  Please tell us about receiving “The Call.”
It was “The Email” for me. I was talking on the phone to one of my CPs (who just happens to be my sister) and was skimming email at the same time (is it just me, or do all writers/moms/women multi-task?). I saw one that I thought was from my other CP, opened it, then realized it was from an editor at The Wild Rose Press (she has the same last name as my CP). I read it, then said to my sister, “Um, I think I just sold my first book. I’ll call you back.” I hung up the phone, ran through the house to find my husband. He was on the phone, talking to aforementioned sister’s hubby. I said to him, “Hang up. Now.”

~  To expand on your "Call Story"— What did you do when you got the call or read the email?  Scream?  Faint?
It was kind of surreal. I didn’t scream, faint or wet my pants (as I had kind of expected I might). I think when you’ve been pursuing a dream for so long as I had, when that dream finally comes through, it’s hard to know how to react.

~  Who was the first person you told?
After my hubby and sister, I called my other CP, then posted on my Pixie Chicks loop (my fellow 2008 GH finalists). Only fellow writers can understand the excitement of getting that call…er, email. ☺

~   How did you celebrate?
It must not have been too exciting because I don’t remember. But I’m sure chocolate was involved.

***

Borrowed Stilettos
by Rebecca J. Clark

It’s a classic case of mistaken identity. But this time, it’s no mistake.
Plans go hilariously and seductively awry when mild-mannered Audrey Thompson dresses as Ava, her flamboyant but cowardly twin. It is Audrey's task, as Ava, to break up with Ava's fiancé, Zach Banister. However, as Audrey is stuffing her bra and tottering around in her sister's stilettos, she falls for Zach instead. Little does she know Zach has an agenda all his own.

EXCERPT:

Well. It was now or never. Adrenaline blasted through her veins, heating her skin. Taking a deep breath of courage, she navigated the first step downward while holding the banister for support. Her ankle wobbled on the four-inch heel. She took another step. This time, she swayed precariously. Her head swam with visions of being splayed out like road kill on the Banister slate.

The threesome below turned her way.

“Ava,” Zach greeted with a smile in his voice. Its deep tone echoed the answering quiver in her belly. She imagined what her name would sound like rolling off his tongue. She froze on the second step from the top, afraid to move. Who in their right mind would ever install hardwood stairs? Nerves rattled around her gut like coins in an empty soda can.

“Darling, we were just talking about you,” he said, moving toward the bottom of the staircase.

Darling? Oh, crap. How was she supposed to break up with a man who called her ‘darling’ in such a sexy way?

“Come down here, and I’ll introduce you.”

Judging from the hostile postures of the women, Audrey decided she’d rather have a root canal. She hoped they couldn’t see up her skirt from their lower vantage point. She said a silent prayer of thanks she hadn’t taken her sister’s advice and was, in fact, wearing panties. Could she call a thong “panties”?

Borrowed Stilettos is available at:
The Wild Rose Press

Visit Rebecca at  www.rebeccajclark.com

Thanks for a great interview, Rebecca!!!

AM   :)

22 comments:

Marie Tuhart said...

Great interview, Rebecca. I can't wait to read Borrowed Stilettos.

Cate Masters said...

Great interview, ladies! Loved the blurb, Rebecca. Congrats on your release!

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Hi, Rebecca. I love reading about other writer's journeys. Like you, I took a long time to get the job done.

Loved the excerpt. Sounds like a funny book. Happy sales.

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Anne Marie--Thanks so much for having me here!

Marie and Cate--So nice to *see* you. I appreciate you stopping by. The book was really fun to write.

Anna Kathryn (what a gorgeous name BTW), I think success is sweeter when it takes a long time, don't you?

AnneMarie Novark said...

Good morning!!!

Thanks for being here today, Rebecca!!!

I think your cover is GORGEOUS!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Hey Marie, Cate and Anna!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

RKCharron said...

Hi :)
DO NOT ENTER ME IN CONTEST
(I don't wear thongs)

Thank you for the excellent interview with Rebecca & thank you to Rebecca for sharing. I loved her "Getting the 'email'" story. Congratulations on your debut release today!
All the best,
RKCharron

Emma Lai said...

Congrats on the sale!

Beth Trissel said...

Sounds fabulous Becky :))) Count me in. Mega congrats:)))))

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Just to clarify: it's a BOOK thong, like a bookmark, that I'm giving away, not an underwear thong. LOL. Although that might be an intriguing give-away...

RK--Hello again. I'm just *seeing* you all over lately. :) Thanks for stopping by.

Emma & Beth--I appreciate you taking the time to post.

It's a great day today!

Mary Ricksen said...

That's it! Chocolate right away!
I have to read this to find out how she stands up in those shoes.
Unbelievable, I'd be on the floor in two steps!

AnneMarie Novark said...

LOL, RK!!! I think you'll want to be in the contest. It's a book thong.

Thanks for visiting!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

Hey Emma and Beth!!! Good to see you!!!

AnneMarie Novark said...

LOL, Mary!!! You crack me up!!!

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Mary, I don't do stilettos myself. At my booksigning this weekend, I'll be borrowed my sister's...and sitting down the whole time. Thank God.

Rebecca J. Clark said...

I'll be borrowed? Sheesh. I meant "borrowing" obviously. Me. Dork. Typing too fast.

Laurie London said...

Great interview, Beck! Holding your book in my hands last weekend was pretty surreal.

I'm so proud of you for sticking with it and not giving up. If you had, I certainly wouldn't be here.

I can't wait for your first book signing. Will you personalize it for me? ;-)

Teresa D'Amario said...

Congrats on your first release! Looks awesome!

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Hey Laurie, thanks for following me around cyberspace. Everyone, meet my sister, Laurie London. Her first book releases next year with HQN. Laur--if you're nice to me, I'll sign your book.


Teresa--thanks so much for taking the time to post.

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Rebecca,
Great interview. Wonderful call story. It just goes to show that perseverence pays off.
Love the red stilletos, believe it or not a few years ago I used to wear them, of course, I am paying the price now. Corns, fallen arches etc.

Loved the excerpt. Best of luck

Rebecca J. Clark said...

Hey Margaret. Yeah, high heels can do some dirty business on our poor feet, can't they?

And Cate Masters--I just pulled your name as my stiletto book thong (bookmark) winner. Please email me at rebeccajclark(dot)author(at)gmail(dot)com and give me your snail mail addy. Congrats!

Anne Marie--thanks so much for having me here. It was an honor.

AnneMarie Novark said...

Thanks for being a wonderful guest, Rebecca!!!

Good luck with your sales!!!