Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Spotlight: Linda Barrett

.


Today, we have award-winning Harlequin Super Romance Author Linda Barrett visiting us at Just Write!   Linda is a fellow Houston Bay Area RWA chapter mate of mine.  I love her books.  They're heart-warming and heart-tugging.

Quarterback Daddy is Linda's thirteenth Super Romance and it's out this month.  She'll be giving away an autographed copy to one lucky person who leaves a comment before 11 pm CST tonight.


So, let's ask Linda some questions . . .

~  What kind of stories/books do you write?

    I write contemporary romance and women’s fiction where the theme of family seems to comes up a lot. I think people are social creatures who need their own packs. So we yearn to belong, especially if we have no “pack” of our own. I explore love through the window of family and community, and by story’s end, there will definitely be an HEA. I promise.  

~  How long have you been writing?

    I've written for my own pleasure for many years – essays in high school, poems and short stories as a stay-at-home mom, and then, finally, trying a novel.  

~   How long did you seriously pursue publication before selling?
  
    Four-and-a-half years.

~  How many manuscripts did you complete before you sold?

    Four. Three were romances and one was a young adult novel.

~  Please tell us about receiving “The Call.”

    The call came to my answering machine in 2000 – and I couldn’t understand one word except, Harlequin. My first editor had a beautiful accent-originally from South Africa-and spoke as quickly as a speeding train. It was a hoot!

~  To expand on your "Call Story"— What did you do when you got the call or read the email?  Scream?  Faint?

    The call came on a Friday, and as I mentioned above, I couldn’t understand the message. I was frustrated for an entire weekend!  I couldn’t even understand the name of the editor, so I looked up all the Harlequin editors in Toronto until I was finally able to match up what my ears heard (sort of) with what my eyes read. I was a wreck! I returned the call first thing Monday morning and had the loveliest conversation with Zilla Soriano. It proved to be the first of many. We had a great relationship before she retired. I still miss her.

~  How did you feel when you found out you sold?
    It was one of the happiest days of my life. I was poised between the wonder of achieving such a long-sought goal and blissful ignorance of what happened next. Big edits!

~  Who was the first person you told?

    My husband. He spent the weekend listening to the telephone message at least 25 times with me, trying to figure it out.

~  How did you celebrate?
  
    By sharing the news with my immediate world.

***

Quarterback Daddy by Linda Barrett


A party-loving sports figure is not an ideal parent in Alexis Brown’s eyes. Too bad quarterback Dan Delito is the only parent her niece has. Alexis isn’t in a position to raise the baby on her own, which means she needs Dan’s help. And that means she’ll have to make nice with the unsuitable man. Fine.


Much to Alexis’s surprise, Dan is good with his daughter. He also knows he needs help, so he convinces Alexis to act as a nanny just until he gets the parenting thing down. Soon their uneasy friendship changes into an unlikely romance. But can a football player, a lawyer and a baby really make a family?

Quarterback Daddy is available at:

www.Amazon.com

www.eHarlequin.com

Thanks for a great interview, Linda!!!


Visit Linda at www.linda-barrett.com


Happy Writing!!!

AM  :)

15 comments:

Christie Craig said...

Love the interview, Linda. I can't imagine having the call come in on Friday and not knowing anything for the whole weekend.

CC

Linda Warren said...

Linda,
Great interview. I think I would have had a nervous break down waiting all weekend. And, yes, Zilla was a lovely person.

Love the cover.
Linda

Linda Barrett said...

Yes, ladies. It certainly was a long weekend!

Emma Lai said...

What a frustrating weekend that must have been. Great interview, ladies!

Judy Braunstein said...

Excellent interview, Linda. Love your books and look forward to reading Quarterback Daddy.

Judy

Pat Rosen said...

I love "Call" stories.

Helen Brenna said...

Hi Linda!

It's so fun to remember back to that first call, isn't it? I LOVE the cover and the title for this book is even better!

Kimberly Van Meter said...

I love the call story! Imagine sitting and fretting all weekend. I can only imagine! Great interview.

PatriciaKay.com said...

Linda, your story made me remember my "call" and I couldn't help smiling. Mine came while I was home for lunch from my office job and I cried my way back to the office. Tears of happiness, of course! :)
Pat

Anne Marie said...

Hey Christie and Linda and Emma!!!

I know when I read about Linda's weekend and THE CALL, I could just imagine the churning in her stomach from the excitement and frustration!!!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

Anne Marie said...

Hey Judy,

I love Linda's books, too. I just read Quarterback Daddy and it's a keeper!!!

Anne Marie said...

Hey Pat and Helen and Kimberly!!!

Call stories fascinate me. That's why my interview questions are about receiving THE CALL!!!

Glad you stopped by!!!

Anne Marie said...

Wow, Pat. That was some timing for your "Call"!!! Getting it while running home for lunch!!! I bet you couldn't concentrate on the day job when you got back to work!!!

Anne Marie said...

Congratulations, Pat Kay!!! You've won Linda's autographed copy of Quarterback Daddy!!!

WooHoo!!!

Please email me at amnovark at yahoo.com for details!!!

Linda Barrett said...

Thanks for stopping by and reading about my call story. Every writer has one; some are just funnier, or stranger or more frustrating than others! Glad you liked the book cover on Quarterback Daddy. I think it's one of the best I've had.