Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year's Resolution: Just Write!!!




A New Year heralds in a new beginning; a chance to start fresh, to start over, to make new goals, to continue on revitalized with hope and ambition.  To boldly go where no writer has gone before!!!

This is true.  Think about it.  Every writer explores his own unique story world, limited only by his imagination, which is no limit at all.

What does limit a writer is failing to sit down and write, to get the words on the page, to put off the actual writing.  Life gets in the way and it's easy to fall off the daily writing wagon.  Then we're miserable because we haven't written and guilt sets in, and we keep making excuses . . .

But hey!!!  That's what's so great about the New Year!!!  It's our chance to pick ourselves up, dust off our keyboards, and JUST WRITE!!!

Here are my 2010 New Year's Writing Resolutions:

* My most important resolution is to get back in the daily writing habit.  When I'm in creating mode, I will write one page a day, five days a week.  By the end of the year, I want that to be two pages a day or ten pages a week.

Let's look at the numbers:  One page a day for five days equals five pages a week, twenty pages a month, 240 pages a year.  That's a couple of novellas or a short novel.  Not bad and very doable.

When I double that, look out!!!  I'm hoping this will snowball, and in several years, my output will be awesome!!!

* When I'm in editing mode, I will spend at least one hour a day, five days a week, working on the manuscript.  Very doable.

Here are my goals for 2010:

1.  Submit my Regency Novella by Jan. 15th.

2.  Revamp two novels and submit them by year's end.

3.  Write two new novellas and submit.

4.  Help encourage other writers and myself through this blog.

Writing and submitting are the keys to a successful and satisfying writer's life and career.  Finding kindred spirits, supporting one another and holding each other accountable makes it that much better.

What are your 2010 New Year's Writing Resolutions?

Happy New Year!!!   Happy Writing!!!

AM    :)

16 comments:

Elizabeth Pina said...

Sounds good to me! I've decided to set more achievable goals. I used to have a lot more time than I do now and (mentally) beat myself up when I don't produce as much.
Much as I'd love to write each day, it just isn’t going to happen. I need to put aside four or five hours on the weekend, plus one evening and one lunchtime (while at work) during the week.
My other writing resolutions are to visit my friends’ blogs more often and blog myself at least twice a month.
I can do it!

Marie Tuhart said...

Happy New Year, Anne Marie. I have my goals set for 2010, all of them achievable goals.

I have two novella's that I want to submit once they're finished and edited. Then I have to promote my first book which is out at the end of January.

I also want to write almost every day, I've set myself a schedule in the New Year and I'm going to do my best to keep it.

Lynne Roberts said...

Hi Anne Marie,

My goal is to submit four stories to publishing houses and prepare one manuscript for the agent search.

My goal is 1K/day for fiction writing and 1K for non-fiction. (including blogs)

Good luck with your goals!

~Lynne

Mary Ricksen said...

I never keep them so I don't make resolutions. However, I will always try to be a good person and that is all I need to do.

Anna Kathryn Lanier said...

Elizabeth, just remember what Todd Stone said, NEVER FIGHT FAIR. By this he means, set goals you can achive, even if it's just "one sentence a day." For some of us, that's all we can realistically do because of jobs, family, life and that's okay. To complete a novel in a reasonable amount of time, it's really not feasible to only write a sentence a day, but you should set goals that are attainable, otherwise, you lose faith and 'beat' yourself up.

I haven't kept my last few years' goals, so I really haven't thought of this years, but I do need to get back into writing, so I think I'll just go with five pages a week and go from there.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Yes you can, Elizabeth!!!

Achievable goals are what it's all about. We mustn't set ourselves up for failure, but for success. Each success will move us forward to achieve more. At least, that's my theory.

Good one about visiting friends' blogs. I need to do that, too.

Good luck in 2010!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Happy New Year, Marie!!!

Congrats on the new book coming out this month!!! I know you must be excited!!!

Good luck with your writing schedule!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Hey Lynne,

Good luck with the submissions and the agent search!!!

1K a day equals 4 pages. That's a lot of pages in a year!!!

I hope to be there some day, but first I need to write consistently again. Then there will be time to expand my goals.

All the best!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Mary,

Being a good person is the best goal ever!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Anna,

I'm with you on the five pages a week.

The pages will add up before we know it!!!

Happy New Year!!!

Skhye said...

Hi, AM! I swear I'm going to submit at least one story in a week. Do nag me about that. DO! I guess that means no fooling around at blogs... the great black hole of writing time. But if you're just starting, it's a good thing. And a sentence a day would drive me nuts. I get frustrated at the inability to concentrate on something I'm writing. Just one sentence would send me to the funny farm! Happy New Year!

Emma Lai said...

Sorry I'm late! The day flew by.

I wrote these goals last week.

1) Finish & submit Book 3 of Mates of the Guardians - submitted 12/30/09 (Got a head start)

2) Polish contemporary romance by end of January and start agent hunt

3) Finish & submit Jewels of the Night story by March 15th

4) Revise existing YA

5) Continue outlining seven book series & finish first drafts of first two books

6) Write Book 4 of Mates of the Guardians & submit

Cate Masters said...

Great advice, Anne Marie! It's important to take that first critical step and just get the story down on the page (or hard drive) to edit later. I haven't set specific goals, and have given up on resolutions, but since my first NaNoWriMo two years ago, try to keep up with writing every day - though not quite so frantic a pace.
All the best to you in the new year, Anne Marie!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Skhye,

I'll nag you if you'll nag me. One week for you to submit; two for me.

We can do eeet!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Emma,

Your goals inspire me!!!

I need to make some of mine more specific. I'm determined to submit more this year. And to write new pages!!!

Here's to a prolific 2010!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Hey Cate,

Thanks for stopping by.

NaNo is great, but it's indeed a frantic pace.

I've never done the official NaNo, but I host two BIAM Writathons a year. Mine have morphed into something different than NaNo, but the important point is to get writers to writing again.

Good luck with your writing, Cate!!!