Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Texas Hot Cocoa Cake



Chocolate and Romance Writers . . . can you have one without the other?  I don't know, but why would you even want to try?

Here's a recipe for the most delicious, most decadent, most luscious chocolate cake you'll ever put in your mouth.   


Go ahead!  Indulge yourself!!!

Texas Hot Cocoa Cake

1 stick oleo
½ c. shortening
1 c. water

Mix these in a small pot and bring to a boil.

¼ c. sour cream
¼ c. milk
1 tsp. baking soda

Mix these together and let sit.

2 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 4 heaping T. cocoa, pinch of salt.

Mix these in a mixing bowl.  Pour hot liquid over and mix.
Add 2 beaten eggs, 1 tsp. vanilla and milk mixture, beat
all until smooth.  Pour onto a greased 18X12 cookie sheet.
Bake 20 minutes at 375 F.  Or until toothpick comes out
almost clean.

Hot Cocoa Icing

1 stick oleo
4 heaping T. cocoa
6 T milk

Melt these in a sauce pan; do not boil.

1 box powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans (optional)

Combine these with the hot liquid
and beat until smooth; pour hot icing
over hot cake.

Enjoy!!!

AM    :)

14 comments:

Judy said...

It sounds positively evil, and of course, I'll be making one soon!

Emma Lai said...

Yummers!

Skhye said...

Methinks this sounds like Mississippi Mud Cake. I'm too tired to go forage through the recipe box though. ;) I also have a chuck-wagon cake recipe that requires no eggs. Mom bought the cookbook ages ago at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Love the cake! And yes, I modified the recipe a bit. But I can't stop doing that!

Huge prize: a cache of Time-Guardian treasure. To enter, join me at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skhyemoncrief/.

Anne Marie Novark said...

This is different than Mississippi Mud Cake. The Mud Cake has marshmallows.

Texas Hot Cocoa is sometimes called a Sheath Cake or Sheet Cake, because it can be baked on a cookie sheet.

My mother-in-law baked a sheath cake. Imagine my surprise when I discovered it was the same as my Grandmother's Texas Hot Cocoa!!!

Mary Ricksen said...

Oh yum, chocolate!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Judy, it is devilishly evil. Wicked GOOD!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Emma and Mary,

This chocolate cake takes the prize!!!

P.L. Parker said...

I am one of life's truly strange women. I don't like chocolate. Only time is if its wrapped around a big hunk of caramel. But if I was going to eat chocolate, this recipe sounds good even to a non-chocolater.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Awww thanks, P.L.

I can't eat much chocolate these days due to migraines.

But one of these days, I'm going to make another one of these cakes and indulge!!!

Lynne Roberts said...

You had me at the oleo. My grandpa was the only one I've ever heard use that term.

Besides the sentimental aspect... YUM!

I'm tring this one.

~Lynne

Sweet Pea said...

My mom called this cake a Texas Sheet cake- a great one for holiday pot lucks and dinners with the family.

Thanks for reminding me of this awesome recipe. It's been a while since I've made one. :)

Anne Marie Novark said...

LOL, Lynne. My sister constantly tells me NO ONE uses the word "oleo" any more.

Sigh.

But that's what my grandmother's recipe calls for. VBG

Anne Marie Novark said...

Yes, Sweet Pea, it's called a"Texas Sheet Cake," too.

And what's more, some called it a "Sheath" cake, instead of sheet. I don't know if that was an East Texas twist or what.

Sherry Gloag said...

Oh my! Now I'll have to blindfold DH or I'll be making this every other day!!
It sounds too scrumptious for wards :-)