Monday, December 28, 2009

BICHOK: 2009 in Review



I love the week between Christmas and New Year's.  For me, it's a time to wrap things up, look back and reflect on the past year and look forward to the New Year.  It's a time for reflection, tying up loose ends, cleaning and organizing.  Starting over with a clean slate gives me hope to do better, be better, strive for better in all areas of my life, especially my writing life.

Before I make my New Year's Writing Resolutions, I've decided to review my achievements in 2009.  So much of the time, I worry about the things I haven't done.  By listing my accomplishments, I'm not bragging, you understand; I'm reinforcing to myself that I am indeed a "real" writer. 

I don't know about you, but I'm always plagued by the doubt demons.  Doubts about my writing abilities and capabilities.  Like will I be able to pull it off again; will I be able to write another book; will I sell another book--things like that.  Succumbing to the doubt demons is detrimental to producing new work.  At least, it is for me.

So here's my list of writerly achievements in 2009:

*  First and foremost, I started a writing project and finished it.  This is huge for me, because I've been in a five-year slump.  I plan to submit it mid-January.

*  Hosted my two annual BIAM Writathons:  April Madness and October Obsession.  I like to encourage writers to write.

*  Presented my first writing workshop at the Bay Area Writers League Conference in May.

*  Gave a presentation to my RWA Chapter in August.

*  Was asked to teach an online class, which landed me five classes to be taught in 2010.

*  Held three successful book signings.

*  Revamped my website.

*  Launched this blog which I hope will keep me, as well as others, on track with our writing in the coming year.

*  Became a member of a group blog where I've made good friends who have taught me so much about promoting my work.

Hmmm, not too shabby.  I do wish I had written more, but writing and finishing that manuscript gives me great confidence that I will be writing much more in 2010.

What were some of your writerly accomplishments in 2009?

Happy Writing!!!

AM   :)

17 comments:

CJ Parker said...

I wish I could say I've accomplished as much as you have. But, I havn't. I signed up last March to Chair EPICon 2010 here in New Orleans. I had no idea how time consuming this would be.
I've released two books this year but I've not written much lately. I've managed to jot down story ideas as they came to me, so once EPICon is over, I'm set to write at least three books. All in 2010? LOL I'm making no promises.
Happy 2010.

Hywela Lyn said...

My main achievement this year was attemtping NaNo for the first time - and winning! So I now have over 50,000 words of my next novel. All I have to do now is tear it to shreds and kick it into a shape I can submit! I also had my second futuristic novel published by The Wild Rose Press and have been Blogging regularly, on my own blog and other people's and also helped start up a new blog to highlight other authors and their books, 'The Author Roast And Toast.' I've not been as prudctive as I would like to have been but at least I have somethig to show fo the year!

Mary Ricksen said...

You did fine this year. I should have done as well!
Keep it up.

Emma Lai said...

Let's see...writing accomplishments for 2009 are many since its my first year as a full-time writer. (Though not so full-time since the pregnancy snuck up on me at the end of January.)

1) Signed three contracts for short stories.
2) Joined the Roses of Houston. *Waves* Glad I met you Anne Marie!
3) Started two blogs.
4) Had two successful book signings. (Attended the third, but had no book.)
5) Started a dozen stories. (Not sure this is a good thing. :))
5) Furiously working to finish one more short before the New Year for submission in January. Four chapters to polish.

Sherry Gloag said...

When I looked back this year, I surprised myself too.
I've had four short stories published,and have three more out house-hunting.
I recently signed a contract with TWRP for my first book - I received the cover art today :-) I participated and won NaNo again this year.
I set up a website earlier this year.
I have just started a blog, and intend to try and post something weekly. Also I'd like to offer interviews and discussions on a regular basis when I can get my head round it all!
Best wishes for 2010

Clover Autrey said...

You all have done great. Let's see. I joined YA RWA this year. Finished two manuscripts. One is contraced with The Wild Rose Press. Queried the other one to several agents. But the biggest accomplishment has to be signing with my agent. That's been years (more than a decade and half again) in coming. It's been a great year.

Marie Tuhart said...

Great year, Anne Marie. I accomplished a lot too. Finished 3 manuscripts, sold 1 of them to TWRP, sent another one off to another publisher (it was rejected but it was a good rejection they want to see more from me); judged several contests; attended my local RWA chapter meetings; meet wonderful group of writers/authors at TWRP; There's probably a bunch of other stuff. I've already set my 2010 goals with my critique group.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Charlotte,

Organizing a writers' conference is HUGE!!! You're getting your name out there, making contacts, networking and helping other writers. WOW!!!

I'm in awe!!!

Good luck!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Lyn,

Congrats on winning NaNo!!! That is a major accomplishment, and now you have a new "product" to polish and submit.

Also, woohoo!!! on the second release and the new blog and your own. I need to get over there and check them out.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Mary,

Glad to see you here!!! And for encouraging us all!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Emma, you astound me!!!

Those are great achievements, not to mention your little bundle of joy!!!

Good luck with the polishing.

Anne Marie Novark said...

Sherry,

I'm so glad you surprised yourself.

See? You've accomplished a lot this year.

Good luck in 2010!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Clover,

So glad you had such a great year!!! And BIG Congrats on landing an agent!!!

WooHoo!!!

Anne Marie Novark said...

Marie,

You DID have a great year!!!

Congrats!!!

Lynne Roberts said...

Congratulations!
My one writerly goal was to finish a book and get an agent. I did the first and came close to the last.

However, I did e-publish two shorts and that wasn't even one of my goals. Yay for suprises. : )

I started a blog, met wonderful people and have severals stories in various stages of completion.

Not bad all in all. : )

~Lynne

Anne Marie Novark said...

Not bad at all, Lynne!!!

Congrats on epubbing the two shorts!!!

And finishing the book!!! That is a great accomplishment!!!

Good luck in 2010!!!

AM <---who likes exclamation marks (but not in her wips)

CJ Parker said...

I'm duly impresses with everyone's year accomplishments. I'm humbled to be in your company!